Sunday, March 13, 2011

Iron Cupcake!

One of my physician partners, Stephanie Skladzien, and I entered a cupcake making competition this weekend!  We spent a lot of time preparing, we baked 7 or 8 different sample cupcakes over the past 2 months and in the end decided on the following:  Chocolate Cupcake with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting and Marshmallow Fondant Flowers.  We were happy with our product and enjoyed the process! We didn't win, one of the professional bakers did (and her cupcake was very good, it was a smores cupcake and she put a graham cracker crust at the bottom of the cupcake liner, sort of like a cheesecake and it was really good!), so she deserved to win, but we got a lot of votes and a lot of compliments so we were happy!

One of the great things for me was that I learned a new process, and that was making and working with fondant.  This is the recipe I used and I thought it turned out pretty good (with one batch I didn't have butter extract and so I substituted some almond extract and one of the people at the competition came up and said she loved it that it tasted like marzipan to her -- which is great because a lot of times fondant tastes kind of gross).  It's almost like working with sugar cookie dough, except it is more pliable and dries out much faster, but it was fun to learn a new skill!

Here are some pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment