Friday, October 21, 2011

Product Review: Towels

I don't often endorse a product, but there are some things that I just love and even though they are relatively small moments they have a way of making my day, and these towels are one of those things:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=109354

These are the most amazing towels I have ever owned.  They make me feel like I am in a spa every time they touch my skin.  They seem to be holding up well to washing (I've had them a couple of months) and maintaining their ultra-softness.  These towels actually make me smile and sigh with contentment.  They were sort of a treat to myself for minimizing our towels (because they are expensive) but let me tell you, they are totally worth it!  And for me all of that is part of what minimizing is about, having fewer things but choosing a better quality product that will last longer and bring more enjoyment on a daily basis than something cheaper and larger in quantity. 

Before we moved we had WAY too many towels of a variety of colors and in various states of falling apart.  Most of them had also become sort of "calcified" (I don't know how else to describe it other than stiff and scratchy) from our really hard water in Wisconsin (even with our water softener the water was still very hard!).  So we donated almost all of them to Goodwill (and I'm sure they threw some of them away!).  We did keep a couple to put in the garage for washing the cars and also a couple to use to catch the buckets of sweat my husband produces by spending hours on the spin bike.  I decided to buy 4 of the above bath towels and 3 hand towels and that is it (I skipped washcloths because I don't find they get used at our house).  Just the other day I went back and bought one more bath towel for the baby so that every person in the house would have one towel.  They are plain white and fit into the decor of both bathrooms so I don't have to worry about matching.  I suppose if we are getting technical then the kids each do have an additional "special" bath towel (a butterfly and a dinosaur) that they received as gifts that they use often and we do have 4 "beach" towels for swimming and such (which, if we didn't have room, could definitely be minimized and we could use our bath towels for that purpose, which I might end up doing anyways now that I think about it...).  But even that amount is still much better than the many many towels we used to have stacked in the linen closet.  The only down side I can see to limiting the number of towels in a house to one per person is that if we have more than 2 guests come stay with us I guess Andy and I will have to share a towel, or use one of the swimming towels (which of course would be fine), but otherwise it makes storage much better!

So, if you're looking to replace some old towels with just one amazing towel, try one of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment