Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Article on 40 Proven Strategies to Improve Public Health


Yesterday I posted this on Facebook:

So... the new obesity data came out last week, and it doesn't look good: "No state met the nation's 'Healthy People 2010' goal to lower obesity prevalence to 15%. Rather, in 2010, there were 12 states with an obesity prevalence of 30%. In 2000, no state had an obesity prevalence of 30% or more." (big sigh) This makes me feel like a failure; I know it's not my fault, but I talk to people about this stuff every day that I'm at work. We should probably just start putting the metformin and statins in the water supply now.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

I didn’t really mean to sound defeatist; I do try to look at things positively when possible.  So I have spent the past 24 hours racking my brain as to how to fix this.  I know I’m not the only person doing this, there are far more powerful, smarter, and important people than me who are racking their brains too.  I was also contemplating how hard it is for those of us who are trying to help; how often we see one person succeed and see 9 others fail. And by “those of us” I mean the doctors, nurses, nutritionists, health coaches, spouses, family, friends and really anyone who cares and supports someone trying to lose weight and create a healthier lifestyle.  We’re pouring our daily energy into this problem and not getting a very good return as far as outcomes.  I am not blaming people out there for their weight and I think the evidence above pretty clearly points that there is a problem in our society.  It is escalating so quickly that even though each of us are individually trying to help, we’re not even slowing down the rapid increase in obesity. 

I was feeling a little down about it, and then I saw this, and while it’s no easy fix it is actual evidence based examples of things that have been PROVEN to work (and by that I mean scientifically, not by some ya-ya pseudoscience person on the TV).  So check it out:

No comments:

Post a Comment